Boss Hutchings (1816–1894) was born in Devonshire, England. He and his wife, Mary, immigrated to the United States in 1845. His willingness to work hard, coupled with a sharp business sense quickly brought him wealth and respect.
In 1858 won the contract to build the stone arch bridge over the river in the center of the village. Bricks from his brickyards were used to build many of the buildings in the business district, homes in the village and the Congregational (Federated) Church.
Hutchings was instrumental in bringing a railroad to the village and served as its General Manager for many years. He served as Superintendent of the Fairgrounds for the Cuyahoga County Agricultural Association. In 1876 he became a partner in the hardware business on Main St. and operated the Enterprise Flouring Mill on Bell St. He served as a Township Trustee and as a member of the Chagrin Falls Village Council.