In 1897 the Cleveland and Chagrin Falls Electric Railway, known as the Interurban, was established. It was part of a system of electric railways throughout the Midwest which provided increased mobility for people and faster movement of light freight and mail. A coal fired power house was built on Miles Rd. to provide electricity for the line and a high level steel bridge 363 feet long was constructed over the Chagrin River near the junction of Miles and River Rds.
The line followed Miles Rd. to enter Chagrin and headed up Maple St. It turned left on Walnut St. to Washington St. It headed southeast out of town to Garrettsville.
In the early 1920s people were finding the newly affordable automobile to be much more efficient than the electric railway and ridership decreased. The Interurban that had connected the village directly to Cleveland and carried thousands of visitors to Chagrin Falls went out of business March 31, 1925.