The land on N. Main St. just south of the Chagrin River was the site of a gristmill beginning in 1836. The mill changed hands over the years. In 1874, owner Washington Gates built a showroom and office addition to the mill. H.H. Burt and T.C. Muggleton operated the mill into the early 1900s and produced “the finest bread flour for miles around.” A mill occupied this area for almost 100 years.
By 1931 the mill was vacant and dilapidated and was purchased by the Village. It was torn down and the dam under the bridge was dismantled. The former office and showroom were saved and restored. This space was home to several businesses including Benny Miraglia’s Shoe Repair and Finch’s dry cleaning business.
The Popcorn Shop opened in this building in 1948 and continues to be a destination for both locals and tourists to this day. It is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Chagrin Falls.