The Deerlick Oil Stone Company was organized by M.B. and Z.L. Kent in 1886. The first factory site was on the Deerlick Creek near what is now known as Sulphur Springs in the Cleveland Metro Parks.
As they prospered, they built a large facility near the intersection of Miles and River Rds. The company quarried and produced oil stones, scythe stones, razor hones and other sharpening tools. They eventually moved the company into Chagrin Falls, refitting numerous buildings on River St. to handle their increasing production. One of those buildings was located on the site where the new restaurant 17 River, formerly Jekyll’s Kitchen, is located today.
The company developed an immense trade in Europe by 1894 and Z. L.. Kent marketed their stones in Russia. They took great pride in the quality of their products. Each stone was packaged in a beautiful chestnut box. In 1909 there was an economic downturn and the Kent Bros. sold their business to the Carborundum Corp.