George Ober and his brother John moved to Chagrin Falls from Newbury in 1873. John was interested in the manufacture of wood products, while George was interested in inventing and producing lathes. In 1881 they dissolved their partnership and George started Ober Mfg. Co. Eventually, the Ober Mfg. Co. was divided into 4 separate departments: wood making, machine shop, general sad-irons, and foundry and had an international market for their products.